Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Wedesday Wickedness - Yankee Style
I recently found this great meme sponsored by Wednesday Wickedness. Each week, Janera posts quotes from a well-known celebrity, and then poses questions to the reader following the quotes. This week's meme posts quotes from George Steinbrenner, the former owner of the New York Yankees. Mr. Steinbrenner passed away this week and this is my tribute to a very special icon. Please pop over to Wicked and say hello! Just click on the logo for Wednesday Wickedness below!
Here we go!!!!
1. "But why shouldn't I speak out? Don't you speak out in this country?" Do you speak out as often as you should?
Well, George, I think "speaking out" was one of your most well known attributes! I don't speak out as much as I should, because every time I start to say what's on my mind, God puts his loving hand over my mouth!
2. "I am tough. Sometimes I'm unreasonable. I have to catch myself every once in a while." Are you ever tough and unreasonable?
Of course I am tough and unreasonable! Just ask my kids! I'm so tough that I won't allow fireworks in the house, dance parties with the football team in their bedrooms, or let them take turns wearing the electric fence collar!
3. "I haven't always done a good job, and I haven't always been successful - but I know that I have tried." Do you believe that sometimes you learn more from a failure than a success?
I don't try to fail, but I am very successful at failure! I could write a book on what I've learned from all of my failures!
4. "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next." Do you feel that you always have to win?
Breathing first, Brad Pitt next. I don't feel that I always have to win, but once or twice would be nice!
5. "It is unbelievable to me that the highest-paid team in baseball would start the season in such a deep funk." Do you think money always buys greatness?
Now George, you know that your boys will always rise to the occasion and come from behind to win! Money buys beauty, not greatness. A lot of money buys greatness!
6. "I take my last phone call at home at about 11pm." What time is too late to call you?
Well, it depends on what you want to call me...(ba dump bump). If I've won the Publisher's Clearinghouse $5,000 for life, you can call me anytime. Otherwise, 8pm is my limit. I am rendered unconscious after that!
7. "Don't talk to me about aesthetics or tradition. Talk to me about what sells and what's good right now." Do you think tradition matters?
I think you should ask Zero Mostel that question!
8. "And what the American people like is to think the underdog still has a chance." Do you tend to root for the underdog?
Always, unless the other guy is better-looking!
9. "I don't think I ever could exceed my father's successes. He was a completely satisfied man, he knew what he wanted to accomplish and he accomplished it. I did a lot, though, to try to please him." Do you ever feel that you want to exceed your parents successes?
I feel lucky if I exceed their failures! I personally would not want to, but there are many greedy, selfish, power mongers with low self-esteem, who would love it if they exceeded their parents' successes.
10. "I'm really 95 percent Mr. Rogers, and only 5 percent Oscar the Grouch." In terms of cartoon characters, who are you like?
Come on, George... if you really are 95 percent Mr. Rogers, than I am 95 percent Jessica Rabbit - I can't help it, I'm just drawn that way!
I hope you leave with a chuckle or two! Thanks so much for stopping by. Please check out the answers given by other bloggers like me. Just click on the logo above and you will be magically taken to Wednesday Wickedness! Happy Hump Day!